Monday 4 February 2008

Places to go, people to meet.

TBH has been helping a fellow cruiser with his computer problems and in return they spent time talking to us about their Pacific crossing. Oh dear, I keep trying to bring childbirth to the forefront of my mind. After the trauma of the birth the pain is forgotten or you'd never do it again... It's rather how I felt after crossing the Atlantic, never gonna do that again! But with time memories fade... come on Gerry remember the pain!!

But my thoughts are turning more and more to another ocean, knowing myself, as I do, I have a sneaky feeling that I have probably already made the decision... it's only a matter of when!

The one aspect that I am not happy with will be what route we would take. I am loathe to follow the regular run, I simply am not comfortable with being a part of the crowd. I would love to attempt a Pacific rim trip. From the Antipodes up to Japan across the Aleutian Island chain and to Alaska. Never let it be said that we don't aim high.

Of course our current total lack of physical condition would make this impossible right now, but... sometimes you just need a goal, a challenge to rise to. Don't hold your breathe though it will not be this year!

I picked up a book, Paradise by Larry McMurtry over at the bookswop yesterday. I sat and read it from cover to cover! On the surface a travel book set in the South Pacific it spoke volumes to me about the voyeuristic nature of ocean travel, about the responsibilities we hold and about the human condition... heavy stuff but extraordinarily well written.

Then last night we watched a film 'Baraka' , once again my mind was stimulated by the beauty and ugliness of this world we live in. So much to see, so many places to go... so little time, so many men... oh no, got distracted there!

There are no words, the thoughts it engenders are your own, I do hope you enjoy this trailer.



I so love the synchronicity of life. Having a thought seems to spark some sort of arrival of new and challenging information that expands and breathes life in to the original fleeting moment... and of course that is what Baraka means. It is an ancient Sufi word which can be translated as "a blessing, or as the breath, or essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds."

Yes, I am up for a bit of that!

No comments: