Wednesday 20 February 2008

Arranged.

I'm going to let you in on a secret... TBH and I had an arranged marriage! What I hear you cry! His sister was a good friend of mine and she and his mother conspired to keep introducing us until we got the hint and finally (it took 3 years) got together... And they were right! It's proved to be a perfect match, so far.

What bought this strange subject to mind was a film that we watched last night, Arranged. This classy independent movie follows the live of an orthodox Jewish girl and a devout Muslim girl as their families prepare to arrange marriages for them It's an intelligent, wryly humorous and thought provoking story and one that I can recommend.

Enjoy the trailer...



Here in Guatemala a number of the Mayan people also arrange the marriages of their children, there are some lovely descriptions of the etiquette of the event in Rigoberta Menchu's book.

Whether you agree or disagree with the concept there are many parts of the world where this practice is a normal part of life and to a certain extent it works. Yes there are the cases where a marriage is seen as a power play and great unhappiness can be the result. But isn't that also true amongst marriages that happen in our western societies too?

I keep trying to persuade my kids that I could find them a great partner... don't think I have quite got the message over yet though!

No comments: