Tuesday 19 February 2008

Everything for a reason...


The headlines in the papers this morning centre on Fidel Castro's resignation as President of Cuba...which leaves us in a bit of a quandary.

I have been chomping at the bit to get going and cursing the time it is taking to renew our passports. Looking at the way the rest of the world is jumping on the bandwagon, and shouting this is the moment for democracy to take over, I wonder what the next few months are going to bring to the Cuban people. And, selfishly, I wonder how this might affect our planned cruise. Still we are not going anywhere until our passports return so we have time to monitor the situation.

I don't think that we can be termed nervous travelers but there are certain political moments that it is perhaps wise to avoid! I remember reporting from London on the 'poll tax' riots some years ago. My crew and I were crouched under a table in the burger bar in Trafalgar Square as the water cannon and tear gas was being used on the crowd. It was the first time I had been that close to 'the action' and it was not my idea of fun...although I must admit that the adrenalin rush of following the story could become addictive!

I hope that all will remain calm in Cuba but at the moment I am concerned that the interference from the USA and other 'interested' parties could well be the precursor to some unpleasant and possibly dangerous situations...I am not going looking for those. We'll watch closely to see what comes out of the big Cuban political meeting this weekend when a new president and governing group were due to be decided on... Watch this space.

No comments: