Wednesday 23 January 2008

Captain Heather announces her comeback!

Oh Good Grief! I really don't know how much of this we can take, do you?

It's nearly as bad as the Rolling Stones frequent retirement concerts!

Dear old 'Captain' Heather has now told us all to be quiet if we can't say something nice as she announces her 'comeback'!

What is it, 23 days since the planned departure, 20 days since she actually left and 17 since she announced she had given up? Wow! And now just 20 days on she has changed her mind again...way to go 'Captain' Heather.

Well as I have quoted before, in the words of Sophocles: Let us wait until the evening to see how fine the day has been.

January 23, 2008 - Since my last post I have received a truckload of emails, most of them kind and understanding and supportive (thank you, I needed that!)...and some reaming me pretty fiercely. I've been criticized for everything under the shining sun -- from saying I might take some time off for a vacation, to worrying about the weather window to get to the Marquesas, to being scared because I was locked in the cockpit in the storm, to using my injured hand as an "excuse," to, well, you get the picture. (It sure is easy to tell a complete stranger what to do from the comfort and anonymity of your Barcalounger, isn't it?). One sensitive fellow emailed (and I quote in full), "too bad it didn't work out for you. How much for the boat?" Buddy, your wife really got a prize when she got you. Darn, the good ones are always taken!

I'm typing pretty much with one hand and having trouble keeping up with all the emails, so I'd like to clarify a few things here.

Firstly, the boat isn't for sale. And when and if it ever is for sale, Sir Galahad of the Email doesn't have enough money to buy it.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure my thumb would be an asset if I were hitch-hiking, but I am unable to use it for anything as simple as holding a fork, brushing my teeth, operating a can opener, or zipping my pants. Hoisting the mainsail, working on the engine, hefting anchor chain, or, say, maybe hanging on to a lifeline in rough seas, pumping out the bilge, or maybe setting a storm para-anchor, are all out of the question. (I know, I know, I'm such a sissy!)

Third, I'm not scared and I haven't quit. But I am being honest and realistic with myself and you in admitting I know there's probably no intelligent way I can go this year. I'm also realizing that I could use a little more sailing time and familiarity with handling the boat in rough weather. And, despite even some family urging to sell the boat, I have no plans of that at this time. My vague, subject-to-change-because-I'm-a-woman-and-reserve-that-right plan is to take some time off, take a vacation, do some closer-to-home sailing (Bahamas are likely), and begin again. Believe it or not, this change in plans has been an awfully big pill to swallow and, by golly, I'm entitled and unapologetic!

To the folks who have offered encouragement and well-meaning advice, thank you, thank you, thank you - I needed it!

To you yahoos in your Barcaloungers: I talked to your momma. She said to tell you, "Shame on you! If you can't say something nice, hush!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go do my thumb exercises.




No comments: