Thursday 10 January 2008

Bits and pieces.

Some years ago I worked, from time to time, as a cook on racing boats. Never saw much racing as I was strapped in to a tiny galley turning out high calorie nosh for hunky crew members...be still my pounding heart!

Some of the racing videos that I have been watching have awakened a new interest in that world. Not that I am in a hurry to take part, far too much yelling and screaming for my taste. But the exhilaration of those fast sails does look attractive...

Running hard downwind in the 2007 Sydney to Hobart yacht race, on Goldfinger, a Farr 52



One site that I rate highly is Sailing Anarchy it's not for the faint hearted but the spread of racing and general news on the sailing world is excellent, and current.

..and if you would like to be truly appalled have a look at the video on Cruising World. It's tedious but compellingly bad! I cannot believe what I see here, flagging down a large ship mid-Atlantic to scrounge diesel and provisions....words fail me.

No comments: