Friday 5 October 2007

Hamburger Heaven


We had a long day yesterday, up at 4am and worked right through apart from a short lunch break.One way or another it was stressful and tiring so I thought we deserved a little comfort food for supper.

Trawling through the cold box I decided I would make some hamburgers.
Casa Guatemala, the organization that helps the orphan and under-privileged kids here, come to the marina twice a week in their lancha(boat). They sell the produce from the farm they run and also other bought in meat and dairy products. The produce is excellent, particularly the minced beef and pork, their prices are good and they make the effort to come here looking for custom.
So every week now I buy all our meat and most of the dairy products we use from them.

So to get back to last night. I made up 4 lovely juicy hamburgers, 1lb minced beef, 1 finely chopped onion, 1/2tsp chilli powder, dash of worcester sauce, 1 egg and a few breadcrumbs all mixed together. Shape in to 4 patties and popped in the coolbox for 30 mins to chill.

Firing up the BBQ I wondered what I could add to make them a bit special, we needed a treat! I settled on serving them with a topping of grilled bacon(very crispy) and sliced avocado . Oh boy they were fantastic. I made a tomato salad to go with them too, mmmnnn. That one really hit the spot.

Followed by a bowl of fresh strawberries and a funny film! That lightened the mood on the boat somewhat!

No comments: