Saturday 22 August 2009

Mango Chutney.

Mango time has arrived here on the Rio, the stalls that line the streets in Fronteras were piled high with huge juicy mangoes when we were doing our shopping a couple of days ago.
At 4 for 10 Quetzals, that's about 1 euro.

I realised that the time had come to get out the chutney making kit once again.

One of my favourite dishes to cook on board is curry, using fish or chicken, pork or lamb. Well pretty much whatever we have including chickpeas when fresh supplies run low. And curry just isn't complete without a big spoonful of gloopy, tasty chutney!

I had resorted to buying some ready made stuff recently, boy that was expensive. When I costed out the batch I made yesterday I reckon that for around 25Q (2.5 Euros) I had produced an equivalent to 20 jars that I had been paying 20Q each for! Now that's what I call a saving.

So here's my recipe, gleaned from 'Australian Woman's Weekly' book on pickles and chutneys.

Mango and Port Chutney

4 large mangoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup port (I used red wine as we've run out of port)
2 large white onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger, more to taste
2 fresh chillies, finely chopped. I used the local jalapeno.
2 cups sugar
3 cups malt vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard seeds


Put the whole lot in a heavy bottomed pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer, uncovered for one to one and a half hours until the mixture is thick.
Pot in clean sterilized jars and seal whilst hot.

Lasts 6 months, if you can keep it that long! Last year I did use port but quite honestly I don't think it makes much difference to the finished product.

No comments: