Saturday 7 August 2010

Horatio Hornblower.

We have spent the last couple of evenings enjoying the old TV series "Hornblower'.The tales of derring-do are enthralling and have kept me on the edge of my seat. Will Horatio save the day? The answer is of course yes!

I am finding the regular sinking of ships a little stressful though. It is at least one per episode, and last night we suffered as two went down. Sitting in our cosy saloon, our oil lamp swinging over head, the sound of creaking timbers from the movie there is an added identification with the picture on the small screen.

Last night it went a bit far. As the characters were struggling in stormy sea with rising waves the wind noise seemed to go through the roof and I was even starting to feel a little queasy. Leaping upright I realised that we were in the middle of a big squall with howling winds in our own rigging, torrential rain and the boat bobbing around in the swell. No wonder I was feeling sick! Our own movements were out of sync with the movie and it made for a most uncomfortable hour or so! Very realistic though, maybe I should have chucked a cup of saltwater at TBH to complete the experience....

No comments: