Saturday 27 September 2008

Steak and a Debate.


We had supper on the boat last night, before joining the U.S. contingent in the bar to watch the first Presidential debate...

I BBQ'd a couple of steaks using a rub that we brought back from our visit to Florida recently. They were delicious! Cooked to perfection, bleeding in the middle and crispy on the outside. Teamed with grilled corn on the cob and a fresh tomato and onion salad we were feeling rather contented by the time we took our seats for the main event!


First impressions were that it was a good debate with some real fighting between the candidates. My view, so far, is I can see why McCain appeals to the citizens of USA, good 'ol boy and all that but he certainly comes across as a parochial old man. Living in his head amidst past glory moments and reminiscing about old friends.

In contrast Obama has the energy of youth on his side and a global mindset that at least gives the US some hope of trying to regain its position amongst the leading world powers.

It's an interesting choice and not one I would relish if I were an American citizen. I look forward to next weeks debate between the prospective Vice Presidents. I mean...Sarah Palin!!!
It will be fascinating to see if, or just how badly, she will fall when her experience(or lack of it) is exposed in live debate...

No comments: