Wednesday 9 July 2008

Sad finale to the circumnavigation of Jeanne Socrates.

Catching up on my internet surfing I was so sad to read that Jeanne Socrates has run her boat aground just 100 miles short of completing her solo-circumnavigation.Her auto-pilot failed as she was taking a short nap. What an absolutely awful experience for such a capable and motivated lady, our thoughts are with her as she tries to salvage her beloved boat Nereida off the Pacific Mexican coast.

I simply cannot imagine how she is feeling, although thankfully she escaped with no serious physical injuries.

The sad & painful fact is that "Nereida" is a sorry sight, grounded on a very isolated beach, Playa Michigan, in the state of Guerrero, between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo....

I'm still half with "Nereida" - and remembering so many good people who helped me:

Xavier and Isaiah, the two local fishermen on the beach after daybreak, who went to such efforts to help with my anchors, digging holes to bed them in the sand to try to prevent them from being dragged as "Nereida" was pulled over by the surge on the surf-ridden beach, while we tried to stop her from moving so she could be saved with a tow off....

The two students from Mexico City, who spent most of the first day with me translating to everyone I needed to communicate with, despite this being part of only a very short camping holiday for them. They had excellent English and were a great support at a difficult time for me....

The Captain of the Marines who tried his best to help - taking me to the town via his base camp to make phone calls and posting guards over "Nereida" for several days in an attempt to stop stealing from her while I was away from her overnight.....

The family of Jose Maria Marquez in Acapulco who cared for me and tried to find people to help me in different ways... and their neighbours who also welcomed me and tried to cheer me up when one of them celebrated his birthday with a big party on the Saturday night....

Several families would come over during the daytime from the nearest village of Tenexpa to serve food in the beach 'palapas' (shelters) and insisted on giving me food and drink in between my frantic efforts to save what possessions I could as poor "Nereida" got more
damaged, took on more and more sand and water and sank lower and lower into the beach just below the high water mark... so very sad for me ...
The photo shows the lovely lagoon (Laguna Tenexpa) full of birds and waterlife behind Nereida's beach (on Playa Michigan) with the 'palapas' catering for occasional campers and day visitors to the reserve area where she lies - her mast is visible above the palapas.

Lagoon behind Nereida's beach

No comments: