Thursday 9 October 2008

Beyond belief

What do you do when the object of your satire is beyond parody? You use their own words. Here is the latest Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey as Sarah Palin.What a remarkable thing it is when a whole segment of such satire simply uses the original statement,beyond belief!


And here is a fascinating comment on an earlier blog which I want to share with you.

Hi Jerry - I loved your story on being a food pundit.

(I just discovered your blog yesterday ... as you know, from my dearth of emails, I do not spend much time on the computer, but as I was enjoying your blog, my fingers were sparked to action by this post on Sarah Palin, as, to put it mildly, I am in quite the uproar about her. SO, I was spurred to comment .... never having been on a blog before or commented, I am unsure of the exact procedure but I see my comments must be approved, so I rest assured I won't, at least, publicly be way out of line) ...

I, on the other hand, have absolutely no sympathy for Sarah Palin. Living in Alaska, I have seen her at work, and it is not a pretty sight (no touch-ups here). By virtue of our geographic location, we are (unlike Sarah Palin with respect to foreign affairs ... sorry, I couldn't resist this) privy to alot of local news regarding her decisions, points of view, beliefs, actions, etc., and frankly, it is absolutely terrifying to think of her as a heart beat away from the presidency. Equally terrifying is her belief that she is perfectly capable. She is against sex education, birth control, the pro-choice platform, environmental protection, alternative energy development, freedom of speech, gun control, the separation of church and state,and polar bears.

Her style of government consists of simply not talking to those that disagree with her, and firing those she dislikes. She believes herself to be above the law and has abused the powers of office. I think particularly telling are the following: (a) the residents of Wasilla, the thriving metropolis of 7,000 of which she was mayor, absolutely hate her; (b) many Alaskans, and certainly all that I know, responded to the announcement of her VP nomination with utter shock, disbelief, and a "you have absolutely got to be f...'ing kidding me"?! I could go on and on, but I will spare you. In Alaska, we are also currently particularly pleased to have the McCAin camp running our state government.

So, Gerry, there you have it. My "rage" at American politics did inspire me to write you in a fashion. That's rather sad, and I do apologize for my "news blackout". Perhaps that's because I have had to impose a news blackout on myself here ... it is simply not healthy for me to follow the news too closely.

No comments: